- Updated: August 8, 2011
So every Monday I am going to put out what I like to call my “Monday Musings”. These are just a quick collection of 5 thoughts that I have had on the Skins for the past week. Hit me with reactions and your own Musing in the Comments Section.
5. The Above Picture is AWESOME – Really it is… it has been so confusing over the last year trying to root for a guy that I hated for 10 years. The only picture I like better right now can be found a few article below…
4. Hail to Redskins Nation – No not the show with Larry Michael (No “S”). Literally each and every one of you. We are the life blood of this team, and in a time where teams all over the NFL have had struggling support, Redskins Nation remains true. Sure we disagree at times but at the end of the day no team in the league has more knowledgeable and devoted fans. I have experienced the embrace first hand in the past few days since the launch of Son Of Washington and it has been awesome. Hail to the Redskins, and Hail to Redskins Nation!
3. Hall of Fame Awesomeness – How amazing has it been to witness Redskins Nation invade Canton over the last few years. From the total take over for Art and Darrell, to Russ and now The Hangman. It has really been special to see Redskins greatness on display especially in a time where we have become the running joke of the national media. Wonder who we can put in the Hall next year to keep this thing going?
2. Quiet Danny, Mommy and Daddy are Trying to Work – In case anyone doubts it, grown-ups are finally in control at Redskins Park. The draft was the 1st evidence, and really all anyone needed. Every pick addressed an area of need, and was a great fit for what this team is trying to do. All the pieces look like they fit in their place. This doesn’t mean that Every player is a lock for the Hall of Fame but they fit the M.O. of this team.
Watching New England trade for Chad Ochocinco (Johnson? What is he even going by in NE?) for a few Tom Brady autographs, and a chance for Marvin Lewis to get his picture taken with the Pats 3 Super Bowl trophies, drove home the fact that Vinny was clueless. Seriously, not one but two 1st round picks? Insane. Not to even mention the super awesome handling of the Cullen Jenkins situation that not only saved money by getting a younger player, but brought us a player in Stephen Bowen who now has a chip on his shoulder because he feels like his former team didn’t want him. Oh and by the way that team is the Cowboys, DOUBLE SCORE!
1. Return to Glory – It is so awesome to see the return to tradition over the last two years. In year one of Bruce and Shanahan the whole thought of bringing back retired players and getting them involved was a complete novelty to me. At best it was a last ditch effort by the organization to repair the hurts caused by the Zorn era. And those hurts were especially painful considering everything we had gone through in the Gibbs 2.0 era. 2 playoff appearances and dealing with the passing of Sean Taylor the best way it could have been handled restored good will with the fans, and in my opinion made the Gibbs 2.0 era a success. All of that was promptly destroyed with the ludicrous coaching search that eventually brought us painfully close with terms like Z Shade, Staying Medium, Bingo, Swinging Gate, and of course who could forget Maroon, Black and Yellow. Bruce Allen has gone out of his way to make sure that Burgundy and Gold run through the veins of everyone at Redskins Park, from Redskins Alumni Parades, to all day tailgate parties with NFL Red Zone being broadcast in the stadium lots, and even the return of the iconic Gold Pants. The Washington Redskins are a team that is using its past, learning from its mistakes and returning to glory in the near future.